Tuesday, 13 February 2007

OMG

I sometimes come across song lyrics which really get my attention. Either because I relate to them entirely, or because they raise some interesting things I haven't thought about, or because I don't know exactly what they mean. Well, this song fits all three of these. When I first heard it I was uncertain if I liked the lyrics. I had no idea what Danny Haseltine was on about. But the more I listened to the song, the more it seemed to unravel itself to me. Eventually it had the same effect on me as my first encounter with Jars of Clay all those years back. In my opinion this song is a music epic, on par with Worlds Apart - in the way it has different sections and just builds up throughout.

Until tonight I was still unsure of what the writer meant, but I had my theories, and I was happy to find out I was spot on. Give this song a listen when you get a chance, and take a look at the meaning below also... (skips back to song, plays it again)... ahh

Oh my God, look around this place,

Your fingers reach around the bone,
you set the break and set the tone
For flights of grace, and future falls
In present pain all fools say, "Oh my God."

Oh my God, why are we so afraid?
we make it worse when we don't bleed,
there is no cure for our disease.
Turn a phrase and rise again,
or fake your death and only tell your closest friends,
Oh My God.

Oh my God, can I complain?
You take away my firm belief and graft my soul upon your grief.
Weddings, boats, and alibis,
All drift away, and a mother cries...
=========================
Liars and fools, sons and failures, theives will always say..
Lost and found, ailing wanderers, healers always say..
Whores and angels, men with problems, leavers always say..
Broken hearted, separated, orphans always say..
War creators, racial haters, preachers always say..
Distant fathers, fallen warriors, givers always say..
Pilgrim saints, lonely widows, users always say..
Fearful mothers, watchful doubters, Saviors always say..
=========================
Sometimes I can not forgive
and these days mercy cuts so deep,
If the world was how it should be, maybe I could get some sleep.
While I lay, I'd dream we're better, scales were gone and faces lighter,
When we wake we hate our brother, we still move to hurt each other,
Sometimes I can close my eyes and all the fear the keeps me silent,
Falls below my heavy breathing, what makes me so badly bent?
We all have a chance to murder, we all have the need for wonder.
We still want to be reminded that the pain is worth the thunder.

Sometimes when I lose my grip, I wonder what to make of heaven,
All the times I thought to reach up, all the times I had to give up.
Babies underneath their beds, in hospitals that cannot treat
All the wounds that money causes, all the comforts of cathedrals,
All the cries of thirsty children, this is our inheritance,
All the rage of watching mothers, this is our greatest offense
Oh my God, Oh my God, Oh my God.


Written by Dan Haseltine, Charlie Lowell, Stephen Mason, Matt Odmark © 2006 Pogostick Music (BMI) / Bridge Building (BMI). All rights for the world on behalf of Pogostick Music (BMI) administered by Bridge Building (BMI).

Behind the Song:
"With Oh My God, we wanted to kind of communicate that everybody at some point intersects with God, whether they choose to believe or not, and people all have their reasons for crying out to God. And some of those are really deep, deep doubts. There are times when I wrestle with that now, but growing up I didn’t know the gospel could stand up to the scrutiny. It’s a question that I think needs to be asked. This song has three parts. It starts out being many people’ stories and the third part is my personal story...Why I cry out to God." - Dan Haseltine (Jars Of Clay)

[words and information from: www.jesusfreakhideout.com, lyrics updated from official in-sleeve booklet]

No comments: