Tuesday, 04 December 2007

hasta la vista...

I have Vista Business edition installed on my Macbook. I think I posted about it earlier. I hardly use it, but when I do it is a refreshing change and I don't come up with too many problems worth griping about. Well, tonight was different. I wanted to watch a DVD on GoogleWhacking my friend loaned me, and I happened to be in Vista running Virus updates and patches... Well, i insert the DVD, and it politely tells me that i'll use Windows Media 11 to show it. Fair enough, click ok. Then Windows Media moans that I don't have the correct plugin to watch a DVD. huh? This can't be right. Cancel or Web Info... Web Info obviously: I get this...

"If you're running Windows Vista Home Premium or Windows Vista Ultimate, DVD capabilities are included as part of the operating system. If you are running Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Business, or Windows Vista Enterprise, you can enhance your DVD playback experience by purchasing a DVD decoder pack or by upgrading to a more powerful edition of Windows Vista. "

(Don't believe me? Click here and see!)

Excuse me? PURCHASING? So shelling out a few grand (in ZAR) for Vista wasn't enough to buy me the rights to play a movie, I gotta pay another $15?

This is laughable! I would love them to add this side note: "If you happen to be a mac user, you can alternatively reboot into Mac OS X which comes with your machine at no extra cost and watch a DVD on the included DVD player." Because this is exactly what I did. Shame, poor Vista Business and Enterprise users...

I can actually imagine the suits back at the MS Redmond HQ who thought of this. "I'm a business user and I NEVER need to watch a DVD at work, all I do is type spreadsheets and write proposals."

No comments: