Sunday, 07 September 2008

and after a long pause...

I've just read the most incredible quote, and I quote it from a book that I'm wolfing down. I actually think I'll finish this book (i love reading but seldom commit to completing a work).

Anyway, the quote:
"Religion, opium for the people! To those suffering pain, humiliation, illness, and serfdom, it promised a reward in afterlife. And now we are witnessing a transformation. A true opium of the people is a belief in nothingness after death, the huge solace of thinking that for our betrayals, greed, cowardice, murders we are not going to be judged. The Marxist creed has now been inverted. The true opium of modernity is the belief that there is no God, so that humans are free to do precisely as they please."
Czeslaw Milosz, winner of Nobel Prize in Literature, from an essay called "The Discreet Charm of Nihilism.

And the book I'm reading: Beyond Opinion, by Ravi Zacharias. Get it.. get it?
It addresses many of the challenges I've recently faced in my conversations with post modernists, atheists and my own thoughts on existentialism.

1 comment:

Rykie said...

Hi, I am making a note of this! Sounds like a challenging and worth while read!!! Myke